The year 2011.
From Vienna south early January with Christina, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Mali and the Festival sur le Niger; legendary, so to set the standard for the remainder of the year, a mesmerizing nine-inch nail and by it everything else will be measured.
Then to San Francisco, Eugene and Eastern Oregon. Finally into Mexico, Baja California, Copper Canyon, then south to Puerto Vallarta, then east to Guadalajara, Morelia and Mexico City. Fly into Miami, then Vienna, then Morocco, then back to Mexico with my boys, 2.5 months in Mexico with Daniel and David, Vera Cruz to Cancun, to Belize, to Chiapas, to Acapulco, 10,000km with my boys, jungles, volcanos, beaches and Maya sites. Back to Vienna, then back in Mexico, miss my boys. Guatemala we leave on the 31st of Dec.
- 2011 12 24 Antigua - From Flores to Rio Dulce, Livingston and a Garifuna sets the record straight, then Antigua.
- 2011 12 11 El Mirador - Jungel trek to the the Maya sites of El Mirador and Nakbe. Then Tikal, before Laguna Lachua.
- 2011 12 01 Todos Santos - Guatemala, Quetzaltenango, Lake Atitlan and San Pedro volcano, Panajachel, Chichicastenango and Todos Santos, Mam people.
And back in Mexico in October.
- 2011 11 11 Oaxaca. Dia de los Muertos, Atlixco, Oaxaca and Monte Alban, Yagul, Mitla, Hierve de Agua, then down to Puerto Arista for beach, beer and ceviche.
- 2011 10 30 Teotihuacan. Mexico City impressions, Frida Kahlo and Teotihuacan.
Back in Mexico.
- 2011 09 16 Cuernavaca - Taxco, Guerrero, then Morelos, Emiliano Zapata Country. Independence Day in Cuernavaca. A visit to Paso de Cortez and Papacatepetl.
- 2011 09 12 - Acapulco. Violent waves hit the Pacific Beaches in Chiapas, Oaxaca and Guerrero, the promised beaches for my twin boys Daniel and David
- 2011 08 29 - San Cristobal. Into Chiapas, Zapatista country. Palenque and the Lacandon Jungle.
10 days Belize.
- 2011 08 17 Caracol - Belize, the Garífuna culture on the coast, Dangriga, Hopkins and Placencia, Maya sites from deep in the south to deep in the jungle, Caracol the snail and the jewel.
July back to Mexico with my boys.
- 2011 08 06 - Chetumal. Down the Quintana Roo coast, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Mahahual and Costa Maya, Chetumal.
- 2011 07 24 - Rio Lagartos. Chichen Itza Maya site, Yucatan. Flamingos and cowboy fiesta in Rio Lagartos. And we crash the van's side windows.
- 2011 07 21 - Izamal. Edzna, Uxmal, Maya sites, mission churches in between, the people with the cross crushed the indigenous population of Yucatan.
- 2011 07 14 - Campeche. This is my life, life of a parenting father on journey with twin boys, 4.5 years old. How to travel Mexico with children? How to treat them to cocina mejicana? How to teach them swim? How...?
The bridge Miami, Vienna, Madrid, Essaouira.
- 2011 06 25 Essaouira - actually a few more times back and forward. Miami Beach and Essaouira, different places of tolerance, racial and lingual cross-pollination.
- 2011 06 03 - Mexico City - South from Los Mochis along the coast, Culiacan, Mazatlan, San Blas, San Francisco, Puerte Vallarta, then 4 days sick in Guadalajara, then Morelia so beautiful architecture, finally Mexico City.
- 2011 05 20 - Copper Canyon - Adventure! Barrancas del Cobre, beautiful at stages almost lethal canyon by train, feet and on the back of pick-up trucks on dusty roads.
- 2011 05 09 - La Paz, new in Mexico, Baja California from north to south, follow the pelicans, deserts and cacti.
Back in the States and waiting.
- 2011 04 17 Eugene - bridging winter. This page, the embodiment of boredom. After Africa, Vienna, San Francisco, Eugene, Oregon then Hells Canyon in Idaho. Waiting for car papers, touring out of frustration and – boredom.
Back in Mali.
- 2011 02 06 Segou - 7th edition of the Festival sur le Niger, Segou. Toumami Diabate, Oumou Sangare, Sayon Camara, many more... Also a story about the djelis, the griots and the marabouts, Friday night in Bamako.
- 20110129 Bamako - Vienna south to Bamako, San Sebastian, Laayoune, Nouakchott, reflections on terrorist and kidnapping threats.